Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Popcorn's Pastime: Beautiful Birds

I love birds. Recently I filled a birdbath and a window box outside my kitchen window with birdseed instead of water and flowers. There is a lovely Bradford Pear right outside that window with lots of good branches for the little creatures to perch on. I wondered if the birds would notice and be brave enough stop a minute and graze. THEY ARE!! I have enjoyed the most beautiful show of bird visitors. My favorite favorite are the cardinals. They are so beautiful! And people these birds are three inches from the large window so I am able to get a really really close up look at them. They like to grab on to the sides of the birdbath and peck for a while. Then they flutter up to a tree branch and look in the window right at me and I swear they are saying "thank you lady, it was delicious!" The males are brilliant red, the females are tan and red. They communicate through song, isn't that sweet? The female will sing from the nest (I don't have a nest, but I read this about them) letting the male know when to bring the food. The male sings back to her, "ok honey, I'm on my way with a beak full of worms". I've had both males and females at my window, probably mates. I've enjoyed my big screen window to nature this spring.


1 comment:

Super Churchlady said...

Isn't Spring divine?? Popcorn - you have a way of making me look at what's going on around me with different eyes.