Sunday, April 13, 2008

Popcorn's Problem: Dressing at, well, my age..35ish give or take ten years



Getting dressed at my age is tricky. I like trendy clothes. I like classic clothes, I like trendy shoes, I like classic shoes. I don't want to be trendy all the time or classic all the time. My taste pendulum is a swingin' back and forth, to and fro all the time. I am not a large person so trendy little stores like "Forever 21" have clothes that I can wear if we are talking about size. But each time I cross over the threshold under that sign announcing the foreverness of an age I kissed goodbye long ago makes me feel, well, stupid. And yet with that said, I always find stuff I think is cute and that I want to wear. Same thing happens at Wet Seal. Or Body Shop. Cuteeee stuffff!! I have to resist the urge to race through the place draping things over my arm with my tongue hanging out and my eyes bulging and head for the dressing room. Plus the added fact that the clothes are so affordable that you can wear them once and feel like you've gotten your money's worth. But the real question in my brain is SHOULD I be wearing those clothes. I am dogged with thoughts of "ok, popcorn, you are ??? years old, grow up and go to Talbot's" . I wonder if others around me are thinking the same thing.."is that old crone really going to try that on?".. I wrote a blog about about reality...is this a facet of my reality that I cannot face? Does Popcorn need to go find some Naturalizers and a housecoat and embrace her age??? Why am I so eaten up with insecurities this weekend???

10 comments:

Super Churchlady said...

"Does Popcorn need to go find some Naturalizers and a housecoat and embrace her age???" HA!!!

Once I went to Forever 21 and I bought the cutest top (for me) and it was kind of like a footall jersey with the number "16" on it and it had the cutest little cap sleeves. Well..when I got it home, Mer was like: "Absolutely NOT, Mom." "It says "16" NOT "42".

You are cute and tiny and hip. You never dress inappropriately. You never show too much skin. You are not a hoochie-mama. (Believe me..we see them here in the Land O'Sugar, don't we?? And you are not one!) You are darling. I just can't see you in Naturalizers and a housecoat and it makes me laugh to have a mental image of you in some old lady garb.

I kind of use my kids as my guide. If Mer tells me "Oh no, Mom, don't wear that...I feel like even if I think it looks good, that maybe - for whatever reason - I shouldn't wear it.

Seth Ward said...

I'm with sc on this one! Who gives a crap? If you like it, you like it! As long as you and Mr. Popcorn are just fine, that's all that matters.

I think it is fun that you and mr. pop don't dress like you are sad about life. You guys kick some butt!

(So do Mr. and Mrs. Churchlady, btw!) The Hammerin' Hebrew is one sexy son of Abe!

Popcorn said...

SCL-I knew an East Texas girl would know immediately what a housecoat was! My Granny Strutton used to spend a whole days in hers. She would stand in her kitchen Sunday night IRONING her week's worth of housecoats. Isn't that so amazing? Times are SO dif now (thanks mercy sakes alive!) Thanks for the words...I read them right after I got home from a quick trip to the mall.. When I have on something questionable, which many times I didn't realize until Elizabeth looks at me, her face growing dark and says "I'm not feelin' the outfit mom"..I can't get it off fast enough, embarrassed at self for being a fashion idiot. The other day I came home from mpies and young popcorn said, "Did you wear that to mPies?" I thought I was bee boppin' cute all day..wrong. Oy. BTW I bet you looked presh in your capped sleeve "16" top...

SW-Mr. Pop and I appreciate your kick butt compliment! We don't want to get old fogeyish. And the Hammerin' Hebrew is absolutely adorable in every way you are so right about that. He and SCL are the cutest couple in the Land O'Sugar..they are so stylin'

Popcorn said...

btw, do ya'll like that picture of Popcorn with a full face of makeup artfully applied? Thank you.

majorsteve said...

You look great in that picture! You can wear anything you want to ;)

FancyPants said...

PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE WAY YOU DRESS!!!

Please.

Popcorn said...

FancyP, you are sweet. Ok, I'll dig up the receipt and return my housecoat.

Popcorn said...

SLC, yes, we do see many a hoochie- mamma in these parts. It's interesting isn't it?

Meredith said...

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!! You have nothing to worry about! I love all your clothes and you are the cutest 35ish person I know!!

Popcorn said...

Mer I can always count on you for a little encouraging word. Thank you sweet pea!