Friday, April 25, 2008

Popcorn's Pride: Half Marathon Mel 2008






This past January I ran a half marathon. 13.1 miles in 2 hours 39 minutes. When the mob of us walked out to the starting line it was 45 degrees. Cold. Especially without any jacket whatsoever because I didn't want to have to shed a jacket once I warmed up. It was one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done in all my ...er....35 some odd years. The experience of running on the Elysian Street bridge and watching the sun rise across the city was yummy. Once we rounded the bend onto Richmond I was into the 7th mile and feeling warm and wonderful. Yes, that's me in the pink waving to my family. Seeing Mr. Popcorn and little Popcorn holding up signs and screaming and taking pictures was just so much fun!I cannot tell you the high it gave me. My man jumped in at 7 and paced me to the 10th and then let me solo to the finish line. That was a big help and encouragement. The sun was out and it was the most beautiful day in the world. Cool, sunny, supporters lining the streets. Those are the things I think of when I think back on that day. I trained hard from August to January and loved every minute of it. Well, I didn't really love the minute I had to crawl out of bed at 4:30 a.m. on Saturdays to head off for the group run with my running club, but I loved every minute after that. Every run increased in mileage as the months counted down, each of them challenging but exhilarating. It was a real accomplishment for me to set a goal, stick with the training, get my stuff together and show up at 5:30 downtown on a cold race day morning. Follow through is not my strong suit, but this time I completely followed through and I have to tell you, it felt good. Running is my therapy and has kept me sane through many tough places in the last few years. I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

Super Churchlady said...

Running is good. I need to get back to it.

FYI: MajorSteve (a marathon finisher himself) ran the last 3 or 4 miles of the marathon with me a few years back. I'm not sure I would've finished if he hadn't been there. It's one of the accomplishments that I'm most proud of because it's totally outside of my natural abilities.

Popcorn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Popcorn said...

Mr. P did the same thing! Mile 7-10. Then when he kissed me and let me go he said...ok, now you only have to run from our house to the fountain and you're finished...so I visualized that and knew it wasn't that far...and boom it was over before I knew it and even had some kick to the finish. It was fabulous. Do the half with us next year!!