Thursday, April 24, 2008

Popcorn's Persuit: Entrepreneurial Launch




I come from a long line of business owners. My grandmother, Mother Evans, owned a grocery store/gas station on hwy 59 in Linden, Texas. Her husband, my Papa, owned a Water Well business in those same East Texas parts: Rex Water Wells, named after my uncle who is my mom's baby brother only six months older than me. His brother, my great uncle V.C. Evans owned V.C. Evans Plumbing in Bellaire, Texas for years. My aunt Dena owned a Christian book store: Sonshine Gifts in Lake Jackson when I was growing up. My own sweet dad started his own plumbing company after working for uncle Venice for a while and other various "union" plumbing companies that wore him out with the heinous schedules. He started his company in 1971 in Houston. His "business plan" was to put food on the table. My mom had quit her job at Shell Oil the when the Cuban Missile Crisis made her realize she did not want her little girl (me) across town from her all day and "too hard to get to". Career be darned, she was now a homemaker. Period. A job she relished for the rest of their marriage.(and planted the strong seed of desire in me to stay home with my babies. period.) His "marketing" plan was walking door to door in neighborhoods putting his business card printed by my mom's best friend's husband, Mr. Keir, on front doors. I can remember going with him and tucking the little card in the frame of the screen doors. Well, today the company thrives and you've probably seen one of the trucks driving through all of the neighborhoods in our city. What started out as a one desk, one phone, one secretary (mom) and some pink "phone message" pads is now a many-trucked, ginormous outfit run to an efficient fare-the-well. You've probably seen one of the spotlessly clean, white, Ford F-150's sitting in front of the mega mansions being built around town, Strutton Plumbing tastefully painted on the door. See? I have entrepreneur blood coursing through my veins. I have a little business: Front Door Designs that I am determined to give a little CPR in the next few months to see if I can grow a little business niche for mah self. I'm excited and it scratches that "own my own business itch" I can't help but have. Check out my new website at http://www.frontdoordesigns.vpweb.com/ and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Super Churchlady said...

Pop -

WHO KNEW!!! Lovin' it. When can I be a customer?