Monday, April 14, 2008

Monday Moanin' at Popcorn's: Marital Mentoring


Well, the wave of insecurities has passed. No more blogfitthrowin' this a.m. So last Thursday night I went to a wedding shower for my "boss" who owns the little gift shop where I "work" if you can call it that. I should really say where I "have a rip roarin' time", or better "my therapist's office" because both of those descriptions are more accurate than the word work. It is a joy, a pleasure, a hoot, to step toe in that place. My co-workers are my long lost sisters. When I get to work I head straight for the back room to see what one of them has brought for us to munch on for the day. When it is something way yummy, I know my friend Rae Lynn made it and my taste buds start reacting. She is our chef in residence, so to speak. Our very own Rachel Ray. Anyhoo, my work posse is a whole 'nother blog. Today's is the wedding shower... When the bride was finished opening up her gifts, she asked us to go around the room and share marriage advice...and she was going to jot this down...so here's some of the one's that I can remember..all were good but these stood out as really really important to me:


1.Protect your man. Do not hang him out to dry when talking to friends. It is utterly disloyal, not funny, and you'll regret it the minute you get up from that lunch table, or hang up the phone.(Sarah)


2.Stoke the fire with affection...kiss hello, kiss goodbye, kiss in between...always (Lorrie)


3.Give 70% expect 30% If you always give more than you expect, you're good (Sandra)


4.Don't go to bed mad, but if you do, tell that mo fo you love him (HA!! I'm not kidding!!!)... not going to bed mad is too lofty a goal for many a pissed off sleepyhead, so this is the next best thing (yeppers, Popcorn)


5.Remember why you said yes (Patti)


6.Discuss marital boundaries and live within them (Popcorn)


7.Make a conversational U turn if friend starts doggin' her own husband by pointing out his good qualities. Saying " well, yes, he may be an ass, but still, he's a good man" is often enough. She'll appreciate that you didn't let her say too much...(Sarah)


8.Laugh behind closed doors...the privacy of your marriage is the best place to laugh at stuff together that you wouldn't dream of laughing at with anyone else...(Michelle)


9.Treasure your time together and make it happen...do stuff together regularly..work out, golf, run, eat, ...you know.... all kindsa stuff... (Susan)
10. Always kiss goodnight and say "I love you"(Peggy)


Aren't those good? What kernel of advice would you give?


1 comment:

Super Churchlady said...

OK - here's my two cents: the "AA" approach. Adoration and Appreciation.

Your man needs to be adored and appreciated. I'm still learning this... (Hubby probably thinks I'm a slow learner.)