Sunday, April 20, 2008

Popcorn's Peripheral Vision




We've had few little windy rain showers here lately that have shaken limbs out of trees. There's lots of little sticks in my yard and on the driveway. Yesterday on my run up my beautiful tree lined route, I kept seeing sticks out of the corner of my eye that looked exactly like...well... snakes. I couldn't tell as I approached them if they were just a fallen stick, or a snake trying to look like a stick. I was very wary. Snakes can do that you know. They are able to just blend right in with their environment and look like a part of the grass, or the dirt, or a pretty flower bed, or ... a just a stick that has fallen from a tree. They are very good pretenders. These peripheral vision snake fears made me jumpy the whole time I was running. Each time I would realize that no, that's just a really snaky looking stick, I'd boogy along relieved. Then I'd come upon another one and think, oh my....and the panic would set in again. Each time, thankfully, the snakes were just sticks. I tried to discern snakeness from stickness before I got too close, but sometimes I'd have to almost be on top of the stick before I could see what it really was. If it had been a snake it would have bitten me... This whole experience reminded me that so many times what looks like a snake, isn't...and what doesn't look like a snake, is. Go fig. So be careful out there! On your daily run, approach all sticks carefully, and with a keen eye. xxoo

1 comment:

majorsteve said...

Thanks Popcorn. I love the way you weave metaphor into your daily experiences. Once bitten, twice shy.