Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Appeal of Vulnerability


I think most people fear revealing certain parts of themselves to others because it's scary. It's scary because we don't know if people will still view us in the same favorable light in which we've carefully tried to present our personalities or lives. We open the door to ourselves only so wide, letting others but partially glimpse what's behind the door. Most of the time what we are hiding is not worth the secrecy, but we're afraid the thing might just sully our hard earned image of near perfection. Or at least we think it will. What I have discovered, much much much to my pleasant and relieved surprise is this: that the more vulnerable you allow yourself to be, the better chance you have at feeling the honest, raw, love and support of your friends. I have found that when I let people in on my hurts, my fears, my trials and tribulations, rarely am I disappointed like I was afraid I would be! When a thing gets too heavy to bear that you finally say ok ok ok here's the deal people would you all just gather round and pray??? They will!! They have!!! It is hard to trust that you won't face judgement, even though we know as Christians we are told not to judge, we still think people will. We are certain they will judge or criticize us to the point we'll be sorry we ever reached out for help. We are so reluctant to admit there's a struggle because we don't want to be blamed for it. The compulsion is to hide to protect pride. But I am so happy to report that has not ever been the case with me. Whenever I finally open my door wide enough for my friends to see everything that is behind it, they warmly rally 'round. They pray, they encourage, and they offer all manner of love that is like manna from heaven when one's soul is hanging out there. It's hard for me to be totally transparent because I want the world to see me as together, rock strong, and a faith warrior. Truth is, I can be worn down as low as the next poor slob. The happy news is that I have learned through precious friendships and open hearted fellowship at church that I don't always have to be the Rock of Gibraltar. I can lay my vulnerable self right out there and there will be someone with just the right word and prayer that will be just the morsel I need for that moment. There is an appeal to vulnerability that brings out the ability in Christians to love supernaturally. It wells up in us and through Him we are able to pour it out to others who need it. When people love from the source of all love, the desire to judge or criticize dissipates. Through God's love they feel no need to lift themselves up by further tearing you down. So my advice is when your cross weighs you way down, go ahead and reach out, be vulnerable. You'll see your friends minister to you in amazing ways as they model His love in your moment of need.

5 comments:

majorsteve said...

I cannot overemphasize how squarely and firmly you hit the nail on the head with this post. Bam!

Meredith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meredith said...

Great post 2pop. I have to agree with my uncle on this one.

Valentine said...

Worded beautifully--being vulnerable enough to set the "everything's great" notion aside, and finding other's support, not judgment. Such a comforting thought (but hard to do!)

Super Churchlady said...

My BFF (whose real initials are KB) is a magnet for people. They just love her and I think it's primarily because she is so transparent and authentic. You know exactly what is going on with her at all times (the good, the bad, and the ugly) because she cannot be duplicitous. It's just not in her. Sometimes I tell her..."you don't have to tell people ALL that" but she tells it like it is. And...people respond to that.