Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Popcorn's Path





Tonight as I was driving leisurely home from choir practice, I was struck by the beauty of the street we were meandering down. This is a street I drive on every day, several times a day and I am always struck by its beauty. I have picked up the phone many a time to call Mr. Popcorn and mention how blessed I feel to live in a place with a street like this one and I thank him for planting us here. It is tree lined, and the beautiful branches of the trees form a canopy over the street. If you drive up this winding lane in the morning you can look out across a gorgeous golf course and see the sprinklers pulsing over the beautiful greens. People are walking dogs along the shaded sidewalk. At one point there is a picturesque triple decker fountain, aged to a nice patina, with pretty seasonal floral plantings at its base. This street also serves as my running route. Day in, day out, this is my path and I love love love it. Nothing could be more motivating than running along this birdy's paradise. But tonight my focus fell to the lighting along the way. Well placed, eye-pleasing black lampposts confidently dot the esplanade the entire four mile stretch. The light cast from the lampposts onto the street adds a certain something. A certain charm. An added satisfying delight to the drive. The light is so flattering to the landscape, and without any effort, chases away the shadows while showing us the way. Then the light dawns on me....so to speak. This is what God wants Christians to be...well placed lampposts here on earth. Casting the light of Christ to chase away the dark shadows that people encounter. We are mood lighting, adding a certain ambiance and unexpected beauty to places and circumstances that would otherwise be dark and dank and hopeless. As reflections of His light, our paths are beautifully illumined with the warmth of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control. You are the light of the world, like a city on a mountain, glowing in the night for all to see. Matthew 5:14

2 comments:

Meredith said...

You are absolutely right. We are God's lampposts.

FancyPants said...

I love that street! That street made me reconsider our move many-a-time. =-)