Saturday, March 8, 2008

Popcorn's Praise Team





I have the privilege of singing on a praise team at my church on Sundays. I sing with six other people, Mr. Popcorn being one of them. My dear friend Super Churchlady is also a singer on our team.We are team "B". There are two other teams that we alternate Sundays with. We all spread out across the stage and help lead the "sets" of worship songs for our congregation. I love this opportunity to minister because I love to worship through song. But the other reason I love it because I love to watch the faces of the congregants as they participate in that part of the service. Each person participates in varying degrees within their own comfort zones. Some are sort of inhibited and barely open their mouths, others throw themselves wholly into the moment and even lift their arms to the heavens. It is sort of a commentary on how different personalities "do life". Some people live with gusto, throwing caution and inhibitions to the wind. Others are content to live within the confines of strictly imposed boundaries. But here's the thing. They are there. They are in church at the end of the week, stopping to offer up praises to God in their own way. For me, standing there singing with all I've got at the end of a long (sometimes grueling) week is confirming for my soul. It confirms for me that no matter what took place during the course of my week, I am going to praise God. If my week was filled with fun and frolic, I will stand and praise Him. If my week was filled with heinousness and heartache, still I will hold that microphone and belt out praises from the depth of my soul. It centers me and realigns my perspective. It serves as a big heaping dose of just the medicine I need to inoculate me for whatever comes down the pike of life.

2 comments:

Super Churchlady said...

I consider it a gift from God to be on the same praise team as you and Mr. Popcorn. I love worshipping with the two of you. Given that I am not the singer that either of you are - I just think God has given this privilege. He knows how it terrifies me to be up there and I couldn't even begin to do it without His enabling me. And...I love to sing His praises.

Popcorn said...

Thanks Mr. Super Churchlady for the timely blog photog!