Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pretty Plants Positively Perk Up Popcorn's Page


These are a couple of pics of my front beds that flank the sidewalk leading to the front door. These two flower beds are such a cheerful welcome squad every single time I walk past them. Most of the plants are perennials and push up through the soil with more enthusiasm than the year before. Then I add a few seasonals to perk things up a little. The yellow day lily in the top picture is an old (over 20 years) remnant from my Aunt Dena's garden. When my mom moved a couple of years ago, she carefully dug up some bulbs and took some with her to her new house and shared with me. These beds also have some orange day lillies from my Nanny Ruth's garden in east Texas but they weren't blooming that morning. The stone-outlined beds are celebrating 4 years of maturity this spring. Many a butterfly and hummingbird call it home. Queen Charlotte surveys her kingdom from her mulchy throne under the shade of the Salvia. It's the little things, isn't it?

3 comments:

Katy said...

Beautiful! Just beautiful! I am so jealous of those with a green thumb. Plants don't stand a chance in my presence...

Bethany said...

Wow..that really inspires me to go beyond the bland landscaping I currently have in the front of my house. It is always neat but not that jaw-dropping vibrancy you have going on.

I saw Brooklyn Tabernacle in one of your pics below - I just love their choir. I know she is in a different church but we just had Damaris Carbaugh as the featured singer at one of our retreats and she is the most gifted, humble, beautiful woman of God I have ever met...anywho - I digress.

Popcorn said...

We were in New York for a week after Christmas and one of the things we absolutely wanted to do was worship at Brooklyn Tab. We sing in our church choir and we do a great deal of their music. I have read the Cymbala's books and love them. Worshipping there was a wonderful experience! The music was just heavenly and I mean that literally.