Thursday, June 5, 2008

Good News/Bad News: Summer Is Upon Us


Yippee! School is out and summer is here. Oh my, what a relief to have finals week behind us. Mama Popcorn had to bare her teeth this week to "encourage" popson to hang in and study hard for his final exams. I really had to show some fang on the afternooneve of his (honors) Geometry exam when he rang my celly and said "hey mom, a bunch of us want to play golf this afternoon".... (in this 97 degree heat). He assured me that he would "study later around 8" !!! Then I had to endure his cold stone face on the drive home. Anyhoo, all's well that ends well. Finals are in the past as of today and the tug of war of summer has commenced. The constant tension between parent and child over what they want to do and what you want them to do with their time. "Hey mom, Brian's sister is going to come by and pick me up and we're going to Wendy's and then....go to......not sure when....I don't know..... maybe Jack's...when he calls...oh mom!" Those constant conversations battling vague vs. specifics, the ratio of not home to home tipped in the wrong direction, ignoring the fatigue factor ... "Mom I'm not tired"...and then falling into a drooling snore fest on the couch ten seconds later. I sit here now awaiting dispatch orders from all three popkids...o the joys of summer. There are some major positives...like no homework, no lunch making at dawn, no matching sock trauma, no poster board runs ten minutes after you get home from the grocery store, spontaneous movie rentals, watermelon at midnight while watching funny u tubers, looking in their rooms and seeing them cozily sprawled and snoozing at 10:30,...oh ok 11:30 a.m., all three of them watching Lost episodes in the middle of the day when it's too hot to do anything else. The popkids work hard the nine months of the school year and seeing them relaxed and chillin' is really a pleasure that balances out the little inconveniences it brings. Happy Summer!


4 comments:

Katy said...

Yes...we took a few days off, but it's proving to be a mistake. There's only so much Wii you can play. How many times have I said, "I'm not the cruise director!" in the last week! I really pissed them off when I told them we're starting back up on Monday. Hee-hee. Pissing them off is fun...

Super Churchlady said...

Yes - Summer is the best of times and...the worst of times. As they get more independent and more mobile, I worry more, but not making lunches at 6 a.m. is almost worth it.

majorsteve said...

Popcorn, I'm still reading your excellent blog and enjoying every post.

Popcorn said...

majorsteve! So glad to hear you are still out there. Wish you'd rev up your blogskills. Miss your writings.