Saturday, June 28, 2008

Popcorn's Pals: Paul and Paula, That's RIght, They're Married


The best man in our wedding, Paul, married a girl named Paula. Their last name begins with a "P" also. I love when I run across people with once in a million name combos. I ask you, how many times has a Paul married a Paula?? And with a P last name to boot! Amazing. Here's another one, my dear friend Jana has another set of married friends with the same names as the Popcorn's! Cary and Melanie. Now those two names are not all that common, so for someone to know two sets of us is well, noteworthy, wouldn't you say? I work in a little gift shop and enjoy reading the names on the customers' credit cards. It's entertaining to see how many women married men with names that are wonderfully compatible with theirs: Zoe Zimmerman ( What are those odds?!), Melanie McCormmick (nice, huh?), Susan Susman (like a little jingle), Kristen Kleinpeter ( not kidding). I sometimes ask them if they married their man for his name when they seem like such complimentary combos. Names have such an impact on people's lives. I love my name and I tell mom thanks every now and then for giving it to me. If I didn't like it, I would not hesitate to change it because I think your moniker plays a role in your overall feeling about yourself. If you like your label, you feel positive about yourself; conversely if you are not a fan of it, it creates a feeling of nagging embarrassment. It was fun to name my babies. I gave them all three old names that have English roots. They have told me they like their names, so I hope they really do and weren't just trying to validate my choices for them. What about you? Do you like yours?

8 comments:

Meredith said...

Meredith Spalding....No, not an alliteration...I wish...but it does have a nice sound. Definitely a movie star name. My mom used to have Staci Lynn Flanagan and, Staci Spalding. WOWW...

Popcorn said...

Mer you are so right. Meredith Spalding has a lovely sound. Just the right amount of syllables in the first and last name to give it the perfect bounce. You are blessed with a beautiful name that matches beautiful you.

Katy said...

I know a Jack and Diane. Mr. Popcorn blew. me. away. today. Tell him thank you for sharing his ginormous gift!

Katy

Super Churchlady said...

I'm not crazy about the "i" at the end of my name. Actually - I would prefer to have a more serious name like "Catherine" or "Elizabeth" or "Rebecca" or "Margaret" because you can always shorten it to Cathy, Libby, Liz, Becky, or Maggie. But you can't go in reverse. Staci with an "i" is just a little too cutsie for me. Oh well...it was the '60's and mom thought it was cool, I guess.

Popcorn said...

Katy: thanks and I will tell him.

Staci with an i: You are lighthearted, positive, and ever cheerful, just the kind of darling person upon which your fresh as a daisy name belongs. Truth is my friend, you could dress up a name like Hagatha Gertrude with your sweet personality.

Karol said...

No, I do not like my name: Karol. Not the spelling, not the original name with a C, nuthin about it. I was called Kari by my friends when I lived in Cali for a year in high school... wish it would have stuck! I do like your blog tho!!!

Bethany said...

I love mine - it means 'House of God'...come on, what's not to love?!

Popcorn said...

Karol, if I didn't like my name, I would change it. Have you ever considered that? Choose a name that you do like and go with it. You only live once, why go through it not liking something as vital as your name? What name would you choose?

Bethy31, is your name Elizabeth?