Monday, May 5, 2008

Macy's Nice But Popcorn No Can Do


Macy's replaced Foley's, sadly therefore, Popcorn no can do. I have tried to give the good store a fair shake, but it's just not workin' for me. Nothing to do whatsoever with the merchandise, service, location...that's all fine and dandy. It's more of an emotional allegiance violation problem. I grew up shopping at Foley's and eating lunch at the Terrace with my mom on the second floor across from housewares and the watch repair, got my first job at Foley's, worked at Foley's for many a youthful retail years. I bought prom dresses there and registered in the "china" department when Mr. Popcorn and I got engaged. The green and white Foley's credit card was my first, and as a young wife outfitted a newlywed apartment with Foley's treasures, dressed my infants, bought my strollers, sported maternity clothes, many a bathing suit, countless shoes, trench coats, beloved jeans, cowhide boots, phenomenal purses, pretty watches, and drawers full of Clinique... all from Foley's my friends. When I stroll through Macy's I look wistfully around for any vestiges of my dear old "Floey's" as it affectionately called in my head....and painfully find none. Even though Macy's inhabits the same building, it is not the same. I feel a weighty sense of infidelity to Foley's when in Macy's trying to have a retail experience; I'm cheating somehow. I made it through the Battlestein's/Beall's and the Joske's/Dillard's transitions with little trauma...but... oooh this one was different. You can have Macy's on a platter, I'm afraid Popcorn just no can do. My heart belongs to the sweet store that took such good care of Popcorn's every need through many seasons of life. Listen, a girl just can't forget that.

2 comments:

Katy said...

I never really recovered from the Sanger Harris/Foley's transition in the Dallas area. Back when the red apple sales were something you lined up for!

Meredith said...

2POP- you are so loyal. I love you.