Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Good Advice from Popcorn's Parent


In the lingering spirit of Mother's Day I found my thoughts drifting to my mother. She has wisdom born of a deep relationship with God as well as just good ol' horse sense. The small town in east Texas from whence she came gifted her with a southern charm characterized by matter of fact snippets of womanly advice that have served us both well through the years. That coupled with her ability to love completely and unconditionally has knit in me a fortitude for which I am eternally grateful. Though my life is certainly awash with blessings, it isn't perfect. So? My mom equipped me with the ability to take any bull by its horns and fight for the upper hand. Early on she pointed me towards God and introduced me to the concept of total faith in Him. Though my mother appears to be a vision of southern belle-ness, she is actually a strong rock, an anchor in the wind, and an unshakable cornerstone. I am blessed and I know it to have enjoyed the blessing of her mothering, her talents, her humor, her strength, her legacy as a loving wife, and her staggering faith in God almighty. I thought I would share some of my favorite Sherra-isms. I feel as though I am sharing a beloved family recipe that will cook you up a nice stew of stability, a pan of productivity, and a veritable jigger of joy.




1. Trying to find a way to justify something?There's no right way to do the wrong thing. Period.


2. Have two places to be at the same time? Do both even if it hair lips Henry.


3. Had something on the calendar for a while but when the day rolls around it's just not working for you and must cancel? Don't worry, if its not right on your end it probably isn't right on their end either.


4.Overwhelmed? Just keep walking through its and do the next(right) thing.


5. God's ways are subtle. We expect big dramatic answers but really He answers us in the ordinary day to day rhythms of life. So much so that it is easy to miss it completely.


6. Our presence means a great deal to people. It's important to show up for your friends and family.


7.Try not to constantly u-turn the conversation back to your this and your that.


8. Look at things from the other person's point of view.


9. God's timing is perfect.


10.There is a solution to the dilemma de jour.


11. You never regret not saying something rude or mean.


12. You can never have too many presents under the tree (my and well as her grandchildren's personal favorite)


No comments: