Thursday, February 12, 2009

From Popcorn's Perch Kids Are Amazing


In case you missed it, I'm teaching this semester. Tenth grade World History. I love observing my students from this new vantage point. What vantage point you ask? Well, from my, uh, well, let's just say from the perch of my 'years of experience'. I've raised three children, so I know what I'm looking at when I look at each of them. The darling girl in sixth period that takes pictures of herself with her cell phone. If I looked like her, I'd take pictures of myself, too. The football player in 7th period that thinks the world revolves around him. How I wish I could experience that feeling just one more ignorant time! The focused student in fifth period whose face remains fixed to mine and continues taking notes until the bell rings, no matter what distraction occurs. WOW. So resistant to peer pressure. It's admirable. The sunny little pair who happily jump up to push my textbook cart down the hall for my next class. I'm in love with their willingness to help and hang in, their happy little hearts each day as I pile on work just like the six teachers before me all day. My heart is touched by the precious girl who showed me her hand with "I love Mrs. Popcorn" with a big red heart drawn on it today. I appreciate the effort it takes for a teenager who probably went to bed too late, to get up, get dressed, haul to school with a heavy backpack, and be sitting in class at 7:30 with a half civil attitude. Kids are really amazing.

1 comment:

Crime Fund said...

hi there,
i am reading this book and also studing i was wondering do you know a website where i can listen to a person read the text
thanks
email me back at
cavsjamesjr@gmail.com