Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Popcorn Poses a Question: Faith = Obedience...is it that simple?


Recently I've made a conscience effort to handle some things in ways that are completely opposite from my normal patterns. Is that sentence grammatically awkward? Sorry my English teacher and editor friends,( yes you Katy, Carol, Linka, Sue, Bethy31...etc.) please forgive as you read. I have tried to be stricter with myself concerning all sorts of things. I've tried to be more obedient and submissive, and a little less rebellious to life's little rules that I am guilty of slacking on. I've tried to make adjustments and corrections in some of my behaviors like a secret project to test what life would be like if I was more respectful of in place boundaries. For example, the clock... Tardiness...I'm not really chronically super late to things, but rarely arrive on the dot. In the past few weeks I've tried to correct that by thinking ahead (hard for me right there) and planning out how much time I need to do every single thing I want to do before I leave the house, walk to the car and drive to the destination and still be right ON TIME. Happily, there's been some improvement. Another is attention to detail. Is it 6:00 or 6:30 that the thing starts?? Will activity A overlap activity B and what do I need to do to make sure it is actually doable? Do I need to nix something from the schedule to avoid chaos? Am I actually noticing the rests in the music I'm trying to sing or am I sloppily hoping nobody noticed it was me who kept singing? Won't submitting to and obeying the rest improve the beauty of the song for everyone? I am also working on obedience to God. I say I'm obedient, I profess that I am.... but am I really? I've been trying to close the gap between what I say I do and what I actually do on a daily basis. He makes it clear how to be obedient, and in some ways it is not too hard. But there are circumstances that are very difficult to place in His hands. Me and Carrie U. belt out Jesus take the wheel, but can I do it? I've been trying. I won't spell out the laborious details, but generally speaking I've just amped up my actions and tried not to be sloppy and lazy about my faith and do more than just pay it lip service Sunday mornings. It seems that obedience in simple things, my very willingness to submit to His authority, serves as a conduit through which God allows my faith to deepen. Hello, it's that simple. xxoo

No comments: