Thursday, November 13, 2008

Creeped Out Here Alone


I looked forward to tonight. The Popmen had a shindig at church, "Grillin' and Gridiron", and I was looking forward to a little time here in a quiet house getting the last of Halloween down, putting it away.... putting out some turkeys....maybe shifting around some furniture....just piddling. Love to piddle with classical music and a candle keeping me company. It was great, at first. But then I was upstairs putting some things in a closet, up on a shelf. I put the last of the Halloween village houses carefully beside the rest of them and climbed down from the stool I was using. The closet door drifted closed, but not all the way. I walked across the room with my back to that door and then I heard it close completely. Now people this was creepy. I don't watch scary movies, I don't read scary books. I don't even like music with too many minor chords in it. Honestly I do not get scared in the house alone, ever, never. Not in all the years we've lived here. I've even spent a couple of nights in a row here alone, no problem; slept just fine. But now that door closing shut like that made goose bumps on my arms. I kind of froze for a minute a little afraid to move, I think that's called fright...? I grabbed my basket of stuff and high tailed in downstairs. I unlocked the front door and went outside for a second just to make sure the door would unlock that's how creeped out I was. I really wanted to call Pophub and ask when they were coming home, but I resisted. Honestly what am I, five?? I want you to know that several times I needed to go back up there but when my foot stepped on the first stair, I stopped. Just could not bring my weeny Popself to go back up. Is that not WEIRD?

No comments: