Sunday, October 26, 2008

Popcorn Ponders Oddities of the (my) Mind


Today I was driving on Beltway 8 and when I reached a particular part of the toll road, my thoughts drifted to refrigerators, then to cook tops and dishwashers. It seems that each time I drive on that stretch of that freeway, I think about first refrigerators...then on to other, well, appliances! Odd. Is it because I am near (can't see it though) a Sears store where we bought some appliances about 20 years ago? Did you know that I can just THINK about a particular maternity outfit from Pea in the Pod (pink drop waist long sleeved tunic thing with leggings) and feel nauseous? There's a certain box of Tide whose odor affects me the same way. Nasty odd. When I smell Aramis cologne, I am 16 again, with hubby (then boyfriend) at a movie theater with sparkly pavement where we stood in line to buy tickets. Sweetly odd. I have a pair of black capri length work out pants that are sort of bell bottom shaped and flap my ankle when I walk. (hate that) Every time I wear them, I can't quit thinking about my mother in law. I actually FEEL myself looking like she looked in her pants. EEWE. Scary odd. (Currently they are in the give away pile because I just can't keep going there) When I stand in certain places in my house specific memories always start swirling around in my head like a vapor. Quietly, unobtrusively, but every bit present EVERY TIME. Melancholy odd. When I decide to wear red nail polish, the same thought scrolls across my brain..."Mrs. Popcorn, when you were my teacher I always watched your hands, they were so expressive." I ran into a student years and years and years ago that said this to me. I must have been wearing red polish as I listened to her talk about my hands. Now it's stuck in there. Irritatingly odd. Gosh, I wonder if this is common, or am I just odd? I wonder.

4 comments:

Susanne said...

I don't think you're odd at all. I used to do counted cross-stitch, and I would listen to a TV show or movie while I sewed. Sometimes, I can look back at something I did and remember what show or movie was on when I was sewing a certain part. Now you don't feel so weird, right?! Your Aramis comment made me laugh. Every once in a while I'll smell a scent that reminds me of a guy I dated very briefly in high school. I never asked him what the cologne was, but I liked it. When I smell that smell, I flash back to my old house, high school friends, and the wonderful world of the 80's. :)

Anonymous said...

You are not alone! This stuff happens to me all the time and I always wonder if it's just me...great post!

Super Churchlady said...

I love your mind, Pop.

If I smell Ralph Lauren Polo cologne - I am instantly reminded an old boyfriend. Grey Flannel reminds me of m dad. He would wear it on Sunday only (I guess to save it) and then if he answered the phone, I could smell it the whole rest of the week. HA! Love my dad!

majorsteve said...

I loved this post. For some reason my mind wanders in a very random way while I'm brushing my teeth. I try to relax my thoughts while brushing and let a random memory drift in. It's weird. They are memories that I could not have conjured voluntarily.