Friday, September 19, 2008

What's It All About Alfie?




Today I am thankful that I am not a control freak. I use that word "freak" in a non judgemental, non (or un?)condemning way. Just an individual who needs to feel that her influence bears weight on all the things that happen around her, great influence. So much so, that it is within the realm of her control thereby protecting her from the adversities or consequences that might have occurred without the exertion of this influence. Weather can't be controlled. When weather threatens to be deadly, the control freak, uh.... freaks. It' hard for me to understand due to my non controlling nature. But if I were one, now would be the time to freak. Ike destroyed so much of what we love here in Texas. Trees are ripped from their roots and are laying in the streets. Traffic signals are out and every intersection is a must stop four way. Now that's a lot of people to trust. For me no problem, but I feel for the controlling types. Galveston Island is destroyed to the point where people cannot even go there to look at their houses. Sad day. In addition to that, Ray Boltz "comes out" and announces he's homosexual. And that he is now truly happy having unveiled this hidden truth in his life that has been the source of so much pain during his umpteen many years as a Christian recording artist. That he just had to tell his wife of 33 years and his four children a couple of Christmases ago and now he feels so much better. That he is now thrilled to be "living a normal gay lifestyle in Florida."Huh? So disturbing. In addition to that, assorted bastions of finance in America find themselves in dire peril. The foundational reasons for which seem quite unnerving. Again, most disturbing. In addition to that, the minister of music at church was ushered out the door recently. I'm not sure how to handle this. I liked him. He was talented and did a good job in my book. He never returned from a three month sabbatical. "The church was moving in a different direction from so and so." Ok. I get that. But how does one handle the friendship side of that curve ball? I like the interim minister, he's great. How can I like this guy when I still feel a sense of friendship and loyalty to the other one? Oy. Disturbing. I cannot control any of these circumstances, that's why I'm glad I'm not a control freak tonight. If I were, I might have to put up with anxiety, night sweats, a racing heart, an upset tummy, and restless sleep. I would totally be freaking out. So glad I'm not that type.

1 comment:

Susanne said...

I'm with you on all of these things (but I had no idea about Ray Boltz...that is SO disturbing). The music minister thing also disturbed me a bit. I liked him a lot too, so I don't know how to feel about how he was "ushered out." I guess all we can do is pray that we can trust the people in authority at our church. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors...or what God reveals to people. I just wish things had been more out in the open I guess.