Monday, September 22, 2008

Popcorn's Possession Confession

Today is trash pick up eve for us. I have to confess that every Monday and every Thursday I get the same urge to get huge green sturdy 39 gallon trash bags and just start chunkin' stuff in and putting it on the curb. I get so tired of the clutter. Clutter I have purchased over the years. There is something in me that is changing...I no longer really want much stuff. I want clean, smooth, "negative" space as the A.S.I.D. people call it. Is it true we spend the first 40 years acquiring and the next 40 giving it away???? Young couples beware!!! Just watch what you buy. Because one day you will reach a point when it all just becomes too much to dust, vacuum, wash, iron, tune, mop, recover (as in upholstery), mow, weed eat, fertilize, straighten, water, plant, groom, trim, feed, walk, re grout, re tile, polish, dry, fix, oil,prune, repaint, shine, replace, rearrange, insure, update,...you get the picture. My advice? Keep it simple from the get go. That way the only thing that will be cluttered is your bank account.

4 comments:

Shirley Landis VanScoyk said...

So true, so true! I carry it in to the house and then, carry it out! I am trying to reduce the clutter in every room by half.

Super Churchlady said...

Yes - I definitely think there's an "acquisition" phase of life and then...there's the divestiture phase. I think I'm almost (but not quite) there. I'm Peri-divestiture....having the occasional hot flash of wanting to get rid of things - but it passes.

Bethany said...

I learned this when I moved abroad and could only afford to send two boxes each way - you realize how little you need to live.

majorsteve said...

I still love your blog Popcorn.