Friday, September 19, 2008

Popcorn's Plea: Don't End Up Here


Enjoying dinner al fresco at my friend Super Churchlady's house during Ike week, we briefly discussed how Ike caused us to look some things square in the eye. One is realizing how vastly important relationships are in life. Friendships, interactions with our kids and husbands, family, neighbors, all so very time worthy. We agreed life is all about relationships and that we should make them tippy top priority. Never mind if the window treatments in the house are not just so, never mind the clutter on the counter, never mind the shoes piling up by the back stairs, never mind the folded laundry on the ping pong table. Let's just have people over anyway! People don't care if things are perfect. Everyone really just enjoys getting together and gabbing and eating and as SCL put it "looking into each other's faces".

I hate that as life marches on, some relationships are abandoned. Not out of any sort of malice, but just a lack of time. Or a lack of things in common. Or a job change. Or a move. Or a shift in thought. Or a difference of opinion. Or lifestyles that don't mesh. Or I have three kids you have none. Or I live modestly, you live extravagantly. Or my child's flawed, yours is perfect. Or I'm still married, you're divorced. Or you never make mistakes, I do. Or my son quit boy scouts, yours didn't. Or I no longer teach, you do. Or you got mad at our church and left, I stayed. Or I'm busy and you're busy with no time to chat. The list goes on and on. I hate that. Relationships are important to me, I realize that today more than I ever have before. Today I vow that maintaining my important relationships will be more of a priority than it has been. That I won't let anything rob me of what I believe is so important. I need friendship. Christ is all about relationship with Him. He knows how vital it is to us. I vow to strengthen my connections and prevent them fading into the foggy blur of the past.

2 comments:

Rob said...

So true, so true. I wish I had the answer to this one. I'd go on TV and make a big bag of money.

I think we're overstimulated. Over on Geekspiel's blog he commented about the Ike experience: Everyone went to bed early. It made me realize how much less stimulation people received a hundred years ago.

I wonder if that's the real problem with our relationships?

Super Churchlady said...

Great post. You always hit the nail on the head, Pop.