Monday, February 25, 2008

Popcorn's Politics






Something odd happened to my intellect since 1982. Slowly I lost interest in many of the things that used to interest me. I read Newsweek religiously as a sophomore in high school. I had strong political feelings and opinions even then. I earned a degree in Political Science in '82. I taught Government for many years at the high school my kids now attend. I kept up with all facets of political life in America. This does not mean I am not still a patriotic sap. Did you see the" slide show" before the Superbowl this year of all of the Patriot players and NFL leadership reading from the Declaration of Independence? The quotes of our forefathers being read while they showed an actor dressed up like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson? I was on the couch bawling, sobbing. Mr. Popcorn thought I had hurt myself or something. I cried at the sight of Lady Liberty in New York recently. However, as the years have marched forward, I have slowly lost interest in all things political. Politics have just disappeared from my radar. I tune in to the primary returns, the candidate debates, and the late night show appearances of the hopefuls...but I just can't get that old fire lit. I wonder why my political wood is wet?

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

it might seem weird or sad that your "political wood is wet" (funny statement) but as one grows and lives interests in different things just change. things we used to care about alter as we learn. that is actually something that i am having to learn the hard way. there are some things that i cling to with all that i am. there are somethings that i just need to let go of that i cant. i am changing and learning and going one path and it scares me that the things and people that i have known my entire life are going another way. i admire you for letting some things go. i wish i could do that with more grace. i love you:)