Monday, February 25, 2008

Popcorn's Panic


Yesterday afternoon, a beautiful, sunny, gorgeous day here in my neck of the woods, disaster almost struck. We were driving to the high school track to get in a little work out. We were chatting and shootin' the breeze when all of a sudden a car came barreling towards us not paying any attention at all to us. The driver was coming out of one neighborhood and crossing the street we were driving on, into another neighborhood. She never paused in the median, she just sped right across and at that precise time, we were passing the entry to the neighborhood she was aiming for. I was in the backseat and Mr. Popcorn and little popcorn were in the front. All I saw was this fast moving object coming at us on the left and I just braced myself and closed my eyes. There was no way she was not going to hit us. And HARD. It was going to be bad. Mr. Popcorn was right in the line of fire, broadside fire. But he slammed on our breaks and swerved hard right- into the entrance of the neighborhood she was aiming for. I heard wheels screeching and smelled rubber as I held on to the backseat. Miraculously, I heard no bang, no clang, no crunch. When we stopped and I opened my eyes I asked, "Did anyone hit anyone?"....Mr. Popcorn said, " no". The only thing I heard him yell before I opened my eyes was "Are you kidding me?"The front of our cars were a hair from touching. We all just sat there for a few seconds, then he backed up and let her go on through, no car exited, no words exchanged. Out of nowhere on a peaceful and flower- lined street we drive every single day shot a potentially life-changing arrow. It shook us up.

3 comments:

Super Churchlady said...

Oh WOW!!! I'm so thankful you guys weren't hurt. Was she on crack or what?

elizabeth said...

this scares me:(
so glad everything was ok.
and i can just SEE dad saying that hahah

Popcorn said...

little kernal: you could probably hear dad saying it all the way to Lubbock. His lungs ain't just for singin'!