Sunday, February 17, 2008

Peaceful Popcorn


That's right. This week's Bible study session was on the spiritual fruit of peace. Peace. The very sound of the word is soothing. Jesus, the Bible tells us many times, is the Prince of Peace. For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6 I have sung those words every Christmas in choir anthems for many years. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace. Ephesians 2:13-14. I have to say, however, peace is sometimes hard for me to find amid life's knocks and pings. Pings like parenting challenges. Knocks like the drain of every day committments. I can start out a day on top of the world emotionally, and end the day with a racing heart full of anxiety. And don't get me started about those 3:15 a.m. wake ups where I lay there in the dark in a silent sweat fuming, ruminating, reliving, dreading, wondering, second guessing, and regretting. Those are the moments when I wonder, where is the peace I learned about in today in Bible study? So much of my Christian walk is knowing what should be, yet failing to apply the needed action. Learning verses in the Bible that speak of an attribute I should have as a Christian, and yet when in comes to the actual living out of the concept, IT IS HARD. As a woman, so many of my moments of turmoil are fueled by the smallest (read: stupidest) things. Things like worrying how something I said may have come across to my friend, wondering why someone didn't call, wishing so-and-so hadn't called....small resentments or even regrets that eat at me. Those are the peace stealers that inflitrate my mind. I have tasted the peace that passes all understanding, but it is fleeting. I let go of it somehow and begin to take over the solution finding/problem solving tasks without giving the hurt, the problem, the wound, the whatever completely to Him and the anxiety washes back over me. As an educator, I teach people to problem solve and "think critically" for themselves. As a Christian, this is precisely what I shouldn't do. When events perplex us, stump us, frustrate us, or sadden us, that's when we should hide ourselves in Him. Peace I leave you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27 When I am able to do that, it is then I find that precious peace that makes no sense. Those circumstances in which I have no right to peace from the outside looking in are exactly when it is there for the taking if I allow Jesus, the Prince of Peace, to govern, problem solve, and rescue me. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:6 Peace be with you.

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

ong of my favorte verses is john 16:33. "i have done these things so that in me you may have peace. in this world you will have troubles, but take heart, i have overcome the world"

yay for peace. and yay for having it right now when so many things are uncertain.