Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mr. Popcorn and Little Things

Occasionally, even after being married for many years, Mr. Popcorn will say or do something unexpected that sits on that spot in my mind that serves as a backdrop for all other thoughts streaming through the brainscape in the course of a day. Even more than a day, for days. I was showing him a dress that I bought for a dear friend's wedding in May. He had a puzzled look on his face and I could tell he didn't really like the dress. He said that while it didn't look that great to him on the hanger, he knows that "You will make it look good".Wow. Then the other day we were out running together. He runs faster, so he gives me a head start. At some point during the run I needed to cross the street and when I did, there he was. He was running and grinning and holding out his hand for me to grab. We ran holding hands for a good while which was killer for me because he runs so fast, but I just kept holding on and running with him. He totally improved my running time at the end of the run. Just that little bit of "pacing up" cheered my heart and improved my outcome. That whole scene struck me as tender and sweet. I felt loved and wanted and cared for with that spontaneous fun sort of best friend gesture. It brings to mind the way God grabs our hands, our psyches, and our hearts out of the blue just in the nick of time to push us along. He, too, paces us up, cheers our hearts, and improves our outcomes. So to Mr. Popcorn I say thank you for the real life little things that are pure reflections of God's love.

5 comments:

elizabeth said...

i love this entry. i am not at home aware of the little things that make you happy anymore. so entries like this give me a peace about being away. i am so happy knowing that you guys are the same as yall always have been. dad is so precious. i gave my testimony this weekend in front of 35 people and i talked about how you are my best friend and dad is my hero...and that i owe my sanity, stability, faith, and creativity to y'all. im so blessed. :)

Popcorn said...

Little Kernal, you have made my day, my week, my year, my life with that sweet comment. How was I so lucky to pop a little kernal like you?

Super Churchlady said...

Crying here.... You're blessed!

Wuhcorn said...

Wuh,
Loved reading both of your entries! If fact, I felt like we were just sitting down having a lovely cup of joe and visiting...you have a great voice. I thought about you yesterday as I was purchasing, wrapping, boxing up and mailing out-of-state fruit (i.e. kernals) valentine goodie boxes. As I was driving home from the post office, I felt like I had just given birth and I wanted to call you because I knew you could relate. Loved reading E's comment...you are all blessed to have each other and I am blessed to have you in my life as well!

Popcorn said...

Wuh you are by far the most hilarious person I know! WUHCORN! Now that's hysterical. Yes I totally get the package mailing/giving birth-esque relationship. Little kernal got her packages yesterday and was thrilled to get them, so I guess it was worth all the "labor"! :)