Friday, August 29, 2008

Popcorn's Poison


Do you ever poison people with your moods? I do. I sometimes even realize that I'm doing it and can't stop myself! Like a fly on the wall I can hear my sharp words and feel my terse body language, all the while unable to arrest the behavior. It is an out of body vantage point that sickens me. The venomous tone of my voice and razor sharp glances I'm sure cause those around me to wonder where Pollyanna Popcorn clutching her Bible has gone. Geez mom. What's wrong with you?, I'm sure they wonder. My son can hear my tone on the phone and say "Mom, you sound tired". That means he hears an edge that isn't normally there. This is a phenomenon we're all familiar with. I have to remember that I am accountable to God for my words, my attitudes, and my disposition all the time. Not just at Sunday School, or while I'm teaching a Bible Study. I can't just treat people flippantly according to my mood and then when the mood passes, hit the relationship resume button. That's not fair to people. Anger, sarcasm, the silent treatment, and hostility are not fruit of the Spirit! If I am behaving like this, I am out of sync with what I profess to be. I'm living a lie, counter to what I say I am. Christianity is not a sometimes thing. Not just when we're feeling good about life and ourselves and our ego is pumped. It is all the time. Even when we feel sour and selfishly search for external reasons as to why...and mistreat those we hold most dear in the process. In a bad mood? Exhausted? Frustrated? Things haven't gone your way? Someone hurt your wittle feelings? Having a pity party? Looking for someone to blame? If so, the best strategy is just to hush, be quiet, lay low...and pray. Push that lip back in! It's those moments we are eaten up with self and can poison precious relationships. It's never worth it and it cannot be justified. Walkin' the talkin' is harder than we think.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

dwI don't like this post one bit and can not relate at all. Ha..kidding..just got through one of those weeks..I so know what you are talking about! Thank you for the timely reminder...

Rob said...

Grace goes both ways on this one. We are imperfect and will behave badly on occasion. Of course, it's not OK when we do, but there's no sense in making things worse.

When I get like this, I hope you'll just turn me off and find somebody nicer to talk to until God gets hold of me again. I'll try to do the same, so don't beat yourself up when it happens.

Super Churchlady said...

Pop - I'm having SERIOUS popcorn withdrawals. Please post promptly (all P's...get it?)