Friday, July 18, 2008

Popcorn's Possessions

Today I had a little snippet of time and walked through a cute little antique shop. I love to wander through shops with lots of furniture. Usually this one has great sideboards, armoires, and tables...which I need to NOT buy any more of.....but today the store was mostly just stuff. Old dusty dishes, cups and saucers, lemon juicers of old, dolls, toys....and I have to tell you a wave of, well, sort of melancholy washed over me as I strolled through. It was so sad to me that all of this stuff was once some one's treasured belongings. Something they had spent their hard earned money on. Things they displayed proudly in their homes, served their guests on at parties, and items their children played with. I started thinking about all of my stuff. When I am dead and gone, my stuff will probably show up on shelves like these and some lady will wander by, and maybe even purchase something that used to be my treasured belonging. That will be all that is left of me, a bunch of dusty pictures and footstools, and forks. Ugh. I had to leave. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Ran next door to TJ MAXX to look at the new stuff....oy.
..

2 comments:

majorsteve said...

Ha ha I like that one a lot! You had me going on that melancholy note and then...oy!

Super Churchlady said...

Gerald and I used to frequent the antique store when we were building our home and we always commented how sad it was to be looking at someone's family Bible or personal photographs - now for sale in some random antique store in a totally different part of the country. It's a great reminder that stuff is just....stuff.