Monday, April 13, 2009

The So Longs, Farewells, and Auf Wiedersehens Of Life


Endings. I really don't like for things to come to an end. I avoid most endings at all costs. But sometimes when something comes to an end, it is a big, fat, relief. Like tonight for instance. Popson ran his last track meet. A season of training, working hard, fighting through the wind and rain of spring and coming out on the other side of the season feeling accomplished. It feels good to close that door until next year. ( my son might say SLAM the door.) The practices every single afternoon grow tiresome and so I know my son is glad for a break. And this may sound scroogy, but I'm always glad to see holidays come and GO. All holidays and that includes Christmas. You heard me right. The month of December is just so demanding. Likewise, learning the Easter music for our church choir was exhilarating and fun, but when all was said and done, I felt like I had given birth or climbed mount Everest. So when that last note was sung Sunday ....whoooo hoooo! See I told you it was scroogy. I'm always glad the party that I so excitedly conceived of throwing....is over, cleaned up, dishwasher loaded, counters wiped, FINISHED. What's the point Popcorn? There's not one, or at least not a clever one. I just find it interesting how life is a constant series of ins and outs, ups and downs, starts and stops. Finding the physical and emotional energy to hang on, see it through, ride it out...is name of the game. If I hang on and ride the crest of the wave until it subsides I always glance back at the experience with either pride, fond feelings, or sometimes regret; but always happy for the opportunity to move on to something else, the next thing. Other random things that were good in and of themselves, but that I was glad to wave goodbye to... college, pregnancy, teenage years, girl scouts, fake nails, aerobic excercise classes, there's lots more, but you get my drift. Nuff said.

No comments: