Friday, March 13, 2009

Psycho People Pleasin' Popcorn: Pathetic!


Since far away college Popdaughter is coming home tonight, I find my mind wandering to memories tied to her. I am painfully red faced at one in particular. How stupid am I?? What kind of psycho people pleaser does this? Did I suffer from some sort of I'm a hero syndrome??? Can I get a diagnosis PLEASE?! I spent one night in the hospital then came home after giving birth to this child. THREE days later do you know what I did??? I got up at 5:00 and took my turn going to the Farmer's Market with my vegetable club. What? Did she say vegetable club?? That's right. I hauled my still very fat self wearing my stylish black t-shirt knit zip up the front jump suit with the hot pink stretchy belt I purchased at a home party (no doubt given by a fellow vegetable club member) and espadrilles. Or was it my white Mexican dress with flowers embroidered around the neck? If memory serves (hopefully it doesn't) my hair was atop my head in a scrunchy. Can you get a visual? I'm sure I had on bright lipstick and huge silver earrings shaped like bunnies finishing the ensemble with a necklace of graduating silver balls. CP I hear you laughing out there!!! I think you had the same jumpsuit in a springtime floral didn't you? Now picture this with me.. there I was, traipsing around with belly a floppin', exhausted from nursing, fiendishly piling corn and tomatoes and green beans in my wagon like it mattered. What did that psychologically pathetic sight scream about poor Popcorn as a young mother lo those many years ago?? I don't want to think about it ..but I cannot quit guffawing! By the time I got home I felt like body parts were falling out. Good heavens they probably were. But Pophero didn't care, she got her radishes!!! The tables of all the esteemed vegetable club would, thank Hector, have their salads. There you have it, the most ridiculous thing I've ever done. Apparently I was a stupid vegetable. What an absolute idiot. I'm embarrassed of myself. Believe you me, I've learned to say no since then. I've graduated from a people pleasin' veggie to a wise ol' kernel of grumpy Popcorn. Go get your own vegetables!

1 comment:

carolsugarland said...

o.k. you had mentioned this post to me, so I hunted it down. Girl, I am laughing my you know what off! Yes, I had the floral jumpsuit, and the watermelon earrings. We were a sight. And the vegetable co-op, why did we ever sign up? I can't remember ever cooking the veggies, they probably rotted in the bottom drawer of my frig. I was too busy chasing and changing two babies. What were we thinking?