Monday, December 8, 2008

Opposite Attraction



Opposites attract. How many times have I heard that? It's true for Mr. Popcorn and yours truly. I like silence, he likes sound. I can be in the house alone all day in complete silence, perfectly content. He grabs the remote, turns on the TV, and walks out the backdoor to weed eat the yard. I spend, he saves. I like change and variety, he likes sameness and routine. I change my mind about things, he clamps down on a decision like a steel trap without a backward glance. I wing it, he plans it. I'm tactful to a fault (or I let myself believe I am) and he says it like it is with no tippy tippy toeing through the tulips. He goes silent when he's unhappy, silence goes when I am. I can't stay mad for long, he can keep a mad on for, uh, much longer. I don't care if I win, he's highly competitive and would just as soon eat dirt as lose a game. I can do many things that pass muster, but every one of his endeavors ooze with excellence. Are our souls looking for their missing part? Sometimes our differences bug the bejeebers out of me and can cause fireworks. But mostly the parts of him that are so different from me I find heartwarming, endearing, comforting and downright entertaining. He makes up for the holes in me, and I do the same for him. Interesting. Huh. Frustrating truth while at the same time a beautiful balance.

1 comment:

Seth Ward said...

Hey, no fire without sparks!